[vc_row][vc_column css_animation="fadeIn"][vc_column_text css_animation="fadeIn"]
In order to be on an offender's visiting list, the offender must send you the visitors application. If you have questions, please refer to the following Visiting Policy on this page, or call Centralized Visiting at 319-385-9511 and then press 6.
VISITOR RULES AND PROCEDURES
- All visitors must fill out a Visitor Application. This form must be completed fully and returned to the Mount Pleasant Correctional Facility, 1200 East Washington Mt. Pleasant, IA 52641 for approval. Please send it in care of Visitor Applications. You will be notified when you have been approved or denied. The approval process may take up to 30 days.
- The visiting hours are as follows:
|Sunday:||9:30 am to 7:30 pm|
|Monday:||8:30 am to 12:30 pm|
|Friday:||9:30 am to 4:30 pm|
|Saturday:||9:30 am to 4:30 pm|
|State Holidays:||9:30 am to 4:30 pm|
|(New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day|
Visits are limited to three hours in length. Keep in mind the Visiting Room is extremely busy on weekends and holidays and your visit may be delayed or shortened due to overcrowding.
Offenders need to make prior arrangements to be excused from scheduled work or program activities in order to visit. As result, please coordinate your visits with her schedule.
The frequency, length of visits, and who may visit will be determined by the offender’s status and availability of space in the visiting room. Please check with the offender regarding her status to ensure you will be able to visit her.
- No contact visits are held in the remote video visiting area located in the lobby of the Administration building. No contact visits are to be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance by calling 515-725-5042. If you are unable to make the visit time, please call and cancel to allow other visitors a chance to have that reservation.
- Children ages 17 and under cannot visit without an approved adult parent or legal guardian. Any adult visitor on the offender’s approved visiting list can bring the offender’s minor child if the child is on the offender’s approved visiting list.
- The Visiting Room is located in the institution’s Administration Building. You must check in with the Reception Officer upon entering the building.
- Currency and coins are not allowed into the visiting room. All personal belongings such as cell phones, watches, purses, and billfolds are also not allowed into the visiting room. These items can either be left in a locked vehicle or in one of the lockers provided by the institution. ICIW is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Visitors will be allowed to bring in needed baby items. Permitted items are 1 clear plastic baby bottle with milk or formula, 2 diapers, 1 pacifier, 1 clear plastic baggy of baby wipes, 1 sealed unopened jar of baby food, 1 plastic spoon, 1 baby blanket and 1 empty sip cup. No diaper bags, strollers or car seats may be brought in.
Children under age 18 may bring school work and school projects to show their mother. The school work will be limited to 10 pages and the projects must fit inside a standard grocery sack. All items will be checked by visiting room staff and must go out with the visitors.
Prescribed medications may be brought in if the visitor needs them during the anticipated length of the visit. Medications will need to be declared at the time of check-in. Medications will be retained/secured at the visiting room officer station for the duration of the visit.
Attorneys may bring in legal materials to discuss with the offender. The attorney, however, will not be allowed to leave this material with the offender unless prior approval is given.
- Visitors who are 18 years of age and above must have a photo identification card in order to visit.
- Visitors will be required to clear an electronic device search prior to entering the visiting room. Visitors may be required to submit to a personal search if they cannot clear the electronic device. Refusal to cooperate in a search will terminate visiting privileges. Criminal charges will be filed against visitors who violate any state law such as the introduction of contraband. Any attempt to circumvent these regulations will reflect on the offender and could affect their privileges and possible release. Refusal to consent to the search will deny visitation that day in addition to the suspension of future visiting privileges.
- Visitors are to park their cars in the parking lot with all doors, windows, and sunroofs secured. Car keys must be brought into the Visiting Room Reception area and locked in a locker. Do not leave pets in vehicles during the visit. No unsecured or unauthorized items will be allowed in truck beds.
- Any visitor that is suspected of drinking or using drugs shall be directed to leave ICIW immediately. Their passengers will also be required to leave.
- Visitors shall be dressed appropriately. All visitors will wear shoes with exception of infants. Halter-tops, miniskirts, muscle shirts, tank tops, see-through clothing, clothing with obscene or lewd slogans, pictures or words and similar apparel will not be permitted. Do not wear clothing with pictures/messages related to alcohol or drugs. Only visitors 12 and under can wear shorts. Hats cannot be worn into the Visiting Room. ICIW is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- There are vending machines in the Visiting Room for beverage and snack purchases. Visitors can purchase a vending card from a Cash-to-Card machine located in Reception. The initial purchase of the vending card must be with a $5.00 bill only. There will be an initial $2.00 charge for this card. This card will be yours to keep and additional money can be added to the card. Offenders are not allowed to take vending machine items out of the Visiting Room and visitors cannot take out any vending machine items with them that have already been opened while on their visit.
- ICIW is a smoke and tobacco-free institution. Cigarettes, lighters, tobacco and other smoking materials are to be locked in your vehicle.
- If you leave the Visiting Room, you will not be allowed to return to resume your visit.
- Visitors may visit only with the offender you have come to visit.
- You may be required to move while in your visit to accommodate for incoming visitors, as determined by the Visiting Room Officer.
- Visitors are not permitted to give any articles to offenders during the visit except those items purchased from the vending machines. Visitors also are not permitted to accept or take out any articles or written materials from offenders.
- Small children must be closely supervised for their safety and should not create a disruption for other visitors. Visits may be terminated if the children are disruptive.
Contact policy for an adult visitor: The offender may embrace and briefly kiss her visitor at the beginning and again at the end of the visit. During the visit, the offender and visitor may hold hands and their hands must remain on top of the table. The offender must be seated at the table so that her back is not to the officers’ desk. Contact policy for minor visitors shall be determined based on individual circumstance and age of the minor visitor.
No more than five (5) visitors may visit with an offender at one time. Infants and children are included in this total. Offenders can request a special visit for more than 5 visitors at a time but this has to be approved by the Assistant Warden of Security prior to the visit on a Special Visit Request Form.
Digital pictures can be taken by Visiting Room workers during a visit.
- Visitors are not permitted to talk or make gestures to the offenders on institutional grounds which includes the parking area.
General Visitor Information
- The Iowa Correctional Institution for Women is located in Mitchellville, Iowa, approximately 17 miles east of Des Moines and just south of Interstate 80.
- Take Exit #149 off of I-80. Head South into town on NE 112th St. Continue south on to Cotton Avenue. This will take you to the entrance institution.
- Mitchellville is currently served by public transit on Mondays only. For further information, please call Dart’s Route and Schedule Information at 283-8136.
- Des Moines is accessible by Greyhound Bus Service. Visitors arriving in Des Moines may travel by taxi to the institution. Des Moines is served by Capital Cab Company at (515) 282-8111 and Yellow Cab at (515) 243-1111.
If further information is needed, please call ICIW at 515-725-5042.